For Lack of Color fans with multiple hats, here are care instructions from the LOC website. Keep them close by for easy reference.
- Spot clean with a damp cloth.
- Brush lightly with lint brush or double-sided tape.
- For a softer hat, steam for 30 - 60 seconds. For further information on steaming, see the detailed instructions and videos below.
- Use a lint roller or double-sided tape to remove any excess dirt.
- Clean wool styles with a wool brush. Some specialist dry cleaners may also be able to clean your hat for you.
Please do not apply the actual iron to the hat - the steam will be enough to soften the hat so you can mould the brim flat.
Steam the underside of the brim, flip it, lightly steam the top of the brim and then lay it on a clean, flat surface. Use your hands to push down on the brim and shape the hat to your desired shape. If you want to flatten the brim, press down on the brim and leave to dry on a flat surface.
All of our wool hats have a stiffening agent applied, to ensure that they maintain their shape. Steaming often reactivates this stiffening agent over time and can breathe new life into your hat.
Note: If you don't have a steamer, you can use the steam from an iron.
How do I store my LOC hat?
We also recommend storing your hat in our hat boxes. This will keep your hat clean and preserve its shape. Store on a flat surface, and avoid hanging on the wall to prolong life.
Please avoid prolonged periods of sun exposure to your hat to avoid colour fade and brim damage.
Please do not get your LOC hat wet. If it does get wet, we recommend towel drying immediately to remove any moisture or leaving in the sunshine to dry.
Straight from Lack of Color themselves, here are a few links
to some helpful how-to videos:
How to re-store your LOC wool hat:
How to re-store your LOC straw hat:
How to install your LOC hat filler: